Thursday, March 14, 2013

Over Halfway Through!

Here I am, on Day 11 of The 21-Day Sugar Detox, and I am still feeling pretty great, especially now since I know I've passed the halfway point! Here's some inspiration for the day, in case anyone is needing a boost/reality check/whatever:

From BalancedBites.com:

"Nothing changes if you change nothing.

Or, said even more simply…

Nothing changes if nothing changes.

These words resonate with me often.
I think many of you who read this blog regularly know that I’m a proponent for things like practicing an attitude of gratitude, living your life in the driver’s seat, and being open to opportunity when it comes up and grabs you in the face.
I’m also always in favor of putting people first.
What you may not know is that I am a serious fan of change. And I don’t mean the kind that jingles in your pocket or in the bottom of your purse.

I mean real change. Life change. BIG CHANGE.

change cartoon toothpastefordinner.com
Photo credit: Drew of toothpastefordinner.com
Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean that “big change” always has to mean geographically, physically or even financially large in size, volume, or expense.
It could simply mean a BIG change in mindset.
Most of us have made up our minds about a lot of things, perhaps right now the way you eat is something you think you’ll never question again.
Perhaps you can’t possibly imagine moving somewhere far away from a life you have created and have grown to love.
Perhaps you can’t imagine ever (gasp!) not CrossFitting. (Relax, I’m not saying you shouldn’t CrossFit!)
Or perhaps even your entire view of the world was as one thing or one way, but somehow, with some motivation and inspiration – or perhaps a good kick in the fanny to “wake up” to the world around you – you could view the world almost entirely differently. That is a BIG change.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you should be questioning whether things you fully know and believe in your life are “non-negotiable.”

What I am asking you to consider is this:

What if something you think is non-negotiable right now really is negotiable?
What if simply changing how you think about all of the non-negotiables in your life could actually change your life?
What if you made some of those non-negotiables suddenly open to discussion?

Changing your thoughts can change everything about your life.

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” – Brian Tracy

rule

How can you go about changing your thoughts?

  • Create a gratitude journal. Or even simply a list each night, or once a week. Write down all the things in your life for which you are grateful. Do not focus on that which makes you feel unhappy, disappointed, or unfulfilled – these are counter-productive thoughts.
  • Reconsider your non-negotiables. As I outlined above, question yourself – very seriously – about that which matters most to you. Then make some tough choices. Open your mind up to something outside of your comfort zone, and allow the changes to flow.
  • Look outside of yourself. Maybe this change of thoughts requires help from others – friends, peers, or colleagues perhaps. Reach out to people you trust, you may be surprised at how ready they are to lend a helping hand.
  • Change just one small thing. Sometimes making the first change is the hardest – whether its in mindset, or a physical change – just the first step may cascade into the others much more easily than you imagined.

How do you approach change? Are you afraid of it? Do you face it head-on?"

I'd love to read what others think about this. Leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment