Friday, March 15, 2013

Paleo "Oatmeal"? Heck, yeah!

Since I am now on Day 12 of The 21-Day Sugar Detox, I have had to come up with interesting meals that both the kids and I can eat AND WILL ACTUALLY ENJOY! And, since I have always been a big fan of oatmeal/cream of wheat or rice for breakfast, imagine my excitement when I created this totally 21DSD-safe "oatmeal" that the kids really do like!



Here's what I did:

Paleo "Oatmeal" (21DSD, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free)

FIRST...

Make your own coconut milk using 2 cups of water and 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut. Place coconut and water in a blender, pulse, and let sit for 4 to 5 hours or overnight, pulsing periodically. At the end of the soak time, run the blender for about 5 minutes. Place a flour-sack towel or thick cheesecloth over a jar, and pour the coconut-water mixture into it. Squeeze the coconut milk out and reserve the leftover coconut shreds. Continue until all of the coconut is thoroughly squeezed and the blender is empty. Enjoy your coconut milk! Now, take the leftover coconut shreds (which don't have much flavor anymore, now that they have had the goodies squeezed out of them) and use them for the oatmeal...

1 c. leftover, finely blended coconut (from making coconut milk)
1 green-tipped banana (or use a ripe banana if you're not doing 21DSD) 
2 T. raw pumpkin seeds (or seed/nut of your choosing)
2 tsp. cinnamon (to taste)
1 c. unsweetened almond milk (I used vanilla.), divided

Put coconut in a pan. Add remaining dry ingredients. Pour almond milk in to just moisten "oatmeal". Heat on very low heat, stirring frequently. DO NOT BOIL! Remove from heat when "oatmeal" is steamy, and put servings into bowls (If I double the coconut milk recipe, the remaining leftover coconut will feed my 4 kids and myself a decent-sized breakfast, but my kids are little oinkers! *wink*). Top with remaining almond milk. Yum! This "oatmeal" is great for chilly mornings when nothing but comfort food will do!

If you're not doing the detox, you can add raw honey, raisins, apples, even chocolate chips.

If you try it, let me know what you think and if you tweaked, added, subtracted, etc! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment